Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Sidewalks that stop


How annoying are sidewalks that just stop?

You are out enjoying a pleasant walk in the evenings- especially now since it’s lighter out… and then boom… no more sidewalk.

Well, as an able bodied person.. I do have some options…

I can:
1. Turn around
2. Cross the street, where I might find the sidewalk does continue over there…
3. Walk on the grass/gravel/mud
4. Walk on the road

Now… What if I was out pushing my kid in the stroller... or what if I have bad knees and hips.. or what if I rely on a walker or even a wheelchair. How does this affect my options?

We can make the mighty step to go outside for a walk...whether it is for our health, stress relief, or for the health of our dog… but we need a place to walk or wheel, safety and comfortably. Bottom line is we are all pedestrians.

We also need to all be advocates. How many of us call up the city/town.. .and let them know of our abruptly ending sidewalks? Let them know that our sidewalks have mutated and parts of it are being overtaken by roots and cracks? Or that we simply need a sidewalk put in place.

If you do anything this spring/summer season, take the time to let your town/city know about at least one area where the sidewalk and trails could perhaps continue or be improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment