Thursday, July 15, 2010

What is our message? Part 1


I am not sure about you, but I know I get annoyed when I see happy, thin, young women (usually with non-sweaty hair, non-red face and excellent make-up application) running on the treadmill, usually sporting the form fitting outfits that seem to be all the rage.

These images often make me feel inadequate, that there is something wrong with me and that I should be looking like them when I exercise. I feel this way and I like to be active... how do pictures like this sit with those who aren't active?????

Exercise has gotten a bad label... usually created through the horrors of archaic structured gym classes and other unsuccessful bouts into the fitness world. The unfortunate things is that the fitness industry in some ways continues this negative label.

TV advertisements, infomercials are often bombarded with very "fit " looking individuals. Often with wearing tight fitness clothing with excellent muscle definition (that would take years of dedication to achieve). They are often beautiful, young and in many cases Caucasian.

We also see these images in magazines, newspapers and yes even in our community programming.

How often have we heard (and in some cases felt) " I need to get in shape before I can go to the gym...." Is this the message we want people to have? Is that not the message we may be sending when we use similar images.

What if a person does not like the gym, or they fear treadmills, or the idea of weights is as boring as watching paint dry. What do these images mean to these folks?

My beef with these images is who do they speak to? Who do they represent? Who feels they can belong alongside those images? I for one don't. The speak to a small segment of the population, and definitely not to the parts of the population we want to reach.

When it comes to physical activity for our community members we need to look at differentiating ourselves from the fitness industry. Don't get me wrong. They offer a service and are of value- but to only some of our community. As leaders in this field and in our community we must be careful with our messaging. What are the images we use? Who do we want to reach? Can these people see themselves in the images we use?

Images are just a small part about messaging.. but they also attract attention. If a person can identify themselves in an image they are more likely to relate to the material being present. They feel more like they belong and they may perhaps are more inclined to consider the programs or services being offered. Which is important when we are trying to get people moving.

Now go out and enjoy some sunshine...I'll chat more about this later.
Angela

No comments:

Post a Comment